Friday, January 18, 2019

An Ode to Flies and Fly Boxes (Original Poetry)

I got bored the other day when the weather was awful and felt a little cabin fever setting in.  The words to this poem came to me and thought I would share it with you.  It's supposed to be funny so I hope it is.

An Ode To Flies and Fly Boxes

Poor little fly boxes, all your flies have run out.
I lost them to bass, trees, bluegill and trout.

Fishing season is over, it's the end of the year.
I don't live near a trout stream so, yep, that's a tear.

But what's that in the corner, covered in books and printed off pages?
Why it's my fly tying desk, I haven't used it in ages!

A fire is now lit, a passion restored.
This sure beats Lifetime, and feeling constantly bored.

I'll fill this box, and maybe some more.
This winter's not so bad, and this won't feel like a chore.

I will tie favorites like John Deere's, and a few Griffith's gnats,
I'll tie stonefly patterns, like Rubberlegs, invented by Pat...Bennett.

I'll tie flies that float with a little help from Gink,
I'll tie streamers that have everything except the kitchen sink.

Copper John's, Adam's, a worm named squirmy,
Midges, hare's ears, and a San Juan wormie.

Crayfish, baitfish, nymphs, and ants.
I'm so excited that I just might pee my pants.

Articulated flies, both big and small.
I'll tie musky flies that look like they're ready to brawl.

I don't even musky fish, but in this mode, who cares?
If I run out of 210 denier thread, I have plenty of spares.

Ostrich, peacock, squirrel, and rabbit.
If you can tie it to a hook, I probably have it.

I'll tie zonkers, buggers, clousers, and hoppers,
Beetles, mice, and deer hair poppers.

Some will go fast, and some will go slow,
But it's winter, it's snowing, and I have nowhere to go.

My 12 bobbins are ready, hackle pliers are out.
If you tie flies at all, you know that I'm talkin' about.

Dubbing brush in hand, with plenty of hooks.
I have YouTube videos to watch, and plenty of books.

Now run to your vice and desk, and go seize the day.
Because catching fish on YOUR flies feels better that way.






2 comments: