Wednesday, September 11, 2019

A Cool Little Gift From a Student

If you don't know, my full time job is being a teacher.  I teach middle school science and sponsor an after school fly fishing club.  I love my job and every day is different.  I get to work some pretty amazing kids as well.  One of these thoughtful kids in particular gave me a pretty cool present the other day.  Her family has a 3D printer and she made me a small, jointed fish.  It was a very thoughtful gift from a very thoughtful young lady.  Below is a picture of said present.


My third thought (after surprise and gratefulness) was "I wonder if I could attach a hook to this thing and make it into a lure.  As I continued to mull this over, I started to think of other practical uses and applications of a 3D printer as it pertains to fly fishing.  That's when it dawned on me.  Fish masks are made of plastic!  As luck would have it, I ran into the young lady this morning at school.  I told her about my idea and she is willing to take on the task of making some fish masks based on the example that I am going to give her.  I will keep you posted on the progress of this little endeavor but I'm thinking about how this might work out.  She can print in different colors, sizes, etc., but I'm getting a little ahead of myself.  I'm excited to see her prototype and whip up some flies with some homemade fish masks.





Three d printed fish

No comments:

Post a Comment