Friday, November 13, 2020

It's Dangerous Out There But Get Out There Anyway

Sometimes I feel something inside me that I have to let out.  Putting that feeling into words is sometimes the only way I know to let it out.  This is one of those times.

This is a dangerous place and world that we live in.  Specifically, here in Missouri, it can sometimes feel like danger lurks behind every corner.  COVID-19 numbers are higher than they have ever been.  It is dangerous to drive at night because it is mating season for deer.  If you're hunting deer, there are inherent dangers like stray bullets, falling out of tree stands, and walking around in the dark.  Missouri weather is unpredictable.  I even heard a horrible story about a guy that died a few years ago when a branch from a tree broke off due to high winds, fell on the poor man and killed him.  If you're fishing, water temperatures are cold and a slip and fall can lead to hypothermia.  With all of these horrible, potential outcomes, one could pose the question, "Why do you do it?"

The answer is hard to articulate.  It's not as simple as "I enjoy the outdoors."  Many people enjoy being outdoors and slightly fewer people enjoy the outdoors when it is less than perfectly comfortable.  Even fewer people overlook dangers and hazards that come along with being in an environment that cannot be controlled or tamed.  For some of us (and I will say us because I am one of us), there is flame that burns in our soul which is fed by things only nature can give us.  When we have been cooped up indoors for too long or responsibilities start to keep us away from the natural world, that flame gets weaker and starts to lessen.  But when we catch a falling leaf out of a tree, feel a cold north wind go down the back of a jacket, or enjoy the warmth that only the direct beams of unfiltered sunlight can deliver, then our flame grows and brightens.  

I can't tell you what drives me to sleep in a cabin that is heated by a wood-burning stove.  I don't know why a wild turkey tastes better than one served at Thanksgiving.  I can't describe why I will jump out of bet at 4:45 on Saturday morning to go deer hunting but will hit snooze four times when my alarm went off at 5:30 each morning.  All I know is that for folks like us, there is something that resides deep within us that demands to be set free.  This freedom, this life without walls, sustains my soul until the next time I can feed the fire.

Whether you are going deer hunting, hitting the water, or just going for a hike this weekend I hope you stay safe.  More importantly, don't let those dangers and obstacles keep you from strengthening your flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment