Friday, September 23, 2022

Clearing Brush


For those that don't know, I have a small cabin on our family farm about an hour northwest of Kansas City, Missouri.  The farmland has been in our family for over 100 years and the cabin has been mine for about a decade.  To call it a cabin is a bit of a stretch.  It doesn't have runny water or electricity and it isn't very big.  It has a mattress, a couch, a kitchen table, and a wood burning stove.  It's a comfortable place when it is cold or rainy.

Up until recently, my neighbor down the road had always mowed around my cabin for me.  For some reason, he quit doing the job and I was surprised to find a ridiculous amount of overgrowth around my cabin a few weeks ago.  I wasn't really sure how to tackle such a bi job with limited tools and equipment.  In other words, I didn't have a brush hog.  What I did have, was a John Deere lawnmower, a borrowed Husqvarna weed whacker, an old school weed scythe, and a desire to clean the place up.  

This situation reminded me of something that was instilled in me by my dad and grandpas.  They taught me that most problems can be solved with hard work.  I would add to that ideal that a well thought out plan also helps.  I'm proud to say that the place looks a lot better.  I don't think that this is the job that Mr. Deere had in mind when he designed a riding lawnmower, but it sure tackled a big job!  Now the place is ready for some overnight hunting and fishing trips.










No comments:

Post a Comment