Thursday, September 8, 2022

My Attempt at Shannon's Minnow


Last week, I posted about a fly called Shannon's Minnow.  You can find that link by clicking here.  To summarize, this is a baitfish pattern that includes an extended body, marabou, and baby blanket yarn.  I decided to give it a try (in my living room while watching television) and I have to say, I am surprised with the end product.  Specifically, I am surprised at how easy it was to tie an extended body as I had never done that before.  I was also surprised at how the extended boy was rigid and didn't have much wiggle to it.  That could be good or bad depending on your perspective or desire.

You might notice a couple of differences in my fly as well.  I decided to use dumbbell eyes because I want this fly to get down and to ride point up.  I also decided to not trim the body.  That is not a strength of mine and I decided to avoid a possible blunder by leaving the scissors on the desk.  I think it still has a decent taper to it as well and to me, it is good enough.  If I tie more of this pattern, I plan on wrapping tighter when I do a figure 8 around the eyes.  You can see in the last picture that the material bulges out a little.  If tighter wraps don't fix it, I might have to take the scissors to the material around the eyes but as I said earlier, that's not something I want to do.

So now it is time for field testing!  I'll keep you posted on how this fly casts, behaves, and catches fish.  Hopefully it will find a place in the fly box like the dragon tail gurgler was able to accomplish recently!



No comments:

Post a Comment