Thursday, September 1, 2022

This Fly Looks Fascinating!


I ran across this fly the other day on social media.  It is called Shannon's Minnow.  It caught my attention because I had never seen it before and marveled at how creative it was.  After watching this video, I can't wait to hop on a vise, tie one up, and try it out on the water.  I have all of the materials at my disposal because it is tied with the same material (baby blanket yarn) that I tie mega worms with plus a little marabou.  

I have a few questions about it that I am anxious to answer.  1. What is the sink rate?  Does this need sinking/sink tip line?  Do I need to beef up the lead wire or even use dumbbell eyes?  2. What is the action like when stripped?  Does it twitch to the left or right?  Does the tail have a swimming motion?  All of these questions will be answered and hopefully this weekend!  I will try to have a full review for you in the very near future.  Until then, here is a video on how to tie this fly if you are interested in twisting one up yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Nice, looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to fishing it! I only have floating line available right now so I'm thinking it might be a good subsurface fly. I bet it would be great for white bass and hybrid stripers chasing bait to the surface!

      Delete