Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Opening Weekend of Rifle Season for Deer- Part 2- The Conclusion


Sunday

We got an early start on Sunday.  We didn't stay at the cabin on Saturday night so we woke up in our homes around 3:30 AM.  We were all on the road around 4, at the farm at 5, and in our spots at 6.  Mason decided to sit this one out that that left Collin, Corey, and I.  Luckily for all of us, it was a perfect fall morning for deer hunting.  It was calm, cold, and clear!  This felt like the opening morning that I was hoping for but got it on day two.

There was significantly more deer movement and everyone saw deer.  Collin saw a doe, Corey saw a fork and two does, and I saw three does and an 8 point buck.  One doe stepped into the field and around 7 and was a single.  It didn't hang around long and didn't have a buck with her.  While she wasn't a shooter, it was nice to see movement.  

Around 7:30, I saw a doe step out of the timber to my right about 200 yards away.  I had seen this before, multiple times.  Deer tend to come out of this spot often.  In fact, last year, I shot a buck that trailed a doe out of the same spot.  As luck would have it, the same thing happened this year.  Behind the doe was an 8 point buck.  I put the scope on it and instantly realized it was a legal buck to take.  It was a little on the small side but when I ranged it at 150 yards, I knew I was going to take a shot.  I knew a guy that would be appreciative of the meat.  All of these things made me arrive at the decision of trying to harvest the deer.

I had time to get my gun into a good position and even range the deer.  They weren't nervous and looked like they were going to hang around for awhile.  I made sure I had a rock steady rest and waited for a broadside shot.  At 150 yards, I knew I had to aim just a little high with my 30.06.  I was surprised when the gun went off which is good for me.  I tend to flinch and jerk from time to time with this particular gun so the shock was a good thing.  Remember, I'm a fisher that hunts not a hunter that fishes.  I saw the buck kick and trot towards the cover that it emerged from.  It came to a stop, took a few steps backwards, and dropped.  

Taking a life while hunting is hard for me.  I don't take any pleasure in killing anything.  I even try to catch wasps in a small net to usher them outside.  I understand that death is a big part of hunting, and while I understand that, I don't take joy in watching an animal die.  I enjoy the hunt, the game of cat and mouse, and feeding others...but I don't enjoy the killing.  If that makes me a wimp, then a wimp I am.  I respect the fact that this deer's life was taken for the betterment of others and I don't take that lightly.  Alright, back to more fun stuff.  

I text the boys to let them know that I had put a deer on the ground and they were extremely happy for me.  I told everyone to sit tight because it was early.  I even had Collin more to my spot because he wasn't seeing anything.  We didn't end up shooting another deer.  What we did end up with was a lot of work to do.  We weren't able to drive in the fields on account of the winter wheat that was growing.  Thanks to Corey's planning and creativity, we were able to wheel the buck out on dolly.  This was a lot easier than dragging it, that's for sure.  It was also Corey's idea to hang the deer and bleed it a little while we wen to truck to drop off gear and get the dolly.  

I kept the tail for tying flies, the antler to display, and the deer went to a good family.  I get to share this story and I have a memory with good guys that I will never forget.  Deer hunting is almost always full of ups and downs.  Saturday was a bit of a downer.  Sunday was the exact opposite.  I have found that all I can ask for from deer season is for a shot on a legal deer.  Sometimes I get them, and sometimes I don't.  Sometimes I miss, and sometimes I make the shot.  Regardless, there will always be stories to tell and adventures to be had.  Like I told Collin on Sunday morning as we were headed to the farm, "If I ever lose the excitement for deer hunting or the thrill that comes with the pursuit of a wild animal, I probably need to quit."  I don't see that happening anytime soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment