Monday, November 7, 2022

I Got Greedy

Remember last week when I stated that I went on my last bass fishing trip for the year?  If not, just click here for that post.  Anyway, I thought that my bass fishing was done for the year...until Wendy convinced me to give it one more shot for the year.  She told me that it was a nice day and that I should go wet a line because I looked bored and antsy.  To make a long story short, my last bass of the year was not caught yesterday.  I got skunked.

I should have seen the writing on the wall.  When I arrived to Watkins Mill State Park, it was closed for a managed deer hunt.  Strike 1.  I quickly assembled a backup plan and decided to hit a farm pond that belongs to a friend of mine in Kearney.  On the way, I saw something that I couldn't believe.  In a high fenced area right off the highway, I saw a zebra.  I've seen these critters before but they are still a rarity.  I might have also come close to causing a traffic accident by taking a picture.  Strike 2.


When I arrived at the pond, I didn't see a lot of activity and all of the cover was almost nonexistent.  Also, the fly that I created last week that I thought was going to behave amazingly in the water...did not look good.  The tail didn't behave like I wanted it too and it needs refinement.  Strike 3.  To top things off, I didn't catch a bass and couldn't even get a bluegill to hit a jig under an indicator.  However, I did see the biggest doe I have ever seen in my life on my walk back to the truck so that was pretty cool.

I should have known better.  I knew it was late in the season.  I knew that my fall fishing expertise is subpar.  I hate getting skunked but I still learned a few things and got to see some amazing wildlife.  I got to spend time on the water and Waylon got some good exercise.  This experience just cemented the idea that my fall fishing techniques need to be honed and that it is time to focus on those stocked trout that I posted about last week.  So goodbye 8 weight and big streamers, and it is time to say hello to the 4 weight rods and nymphs!



No comments:

Post a Comment