Friday, September 20, 2024

I was Asked to Participate a Fly Tying Competition at The Iron Fly. Here's my Story- The Conclusion

So there I was, blindfolded and determined to tie the best wooly bugger that I could without my favorite of the five senses.  The mental picture of where my tools and materials were located was still fresh in my mind.  I knew that I was going to have to lean on that picture and a bunch of muscle memory to complete a fly that wasn't embarrassing.  

Surprisingly, things didn't feel as unnatural as I had expected.  The hook got secured in the vise, I attached my thread to the hook, and trimmed the tag of the thread with minimal problems.  Once I let go of wanting my vision back, I focused more on routine and feel.  I've tied a lot of wooly buggers in my life and that level of experience came in really useful.  I sure was glad that I wasn't tying an Adams or a Humpy.

This endeavor was not without a few hiccups though.  I got my thread wrapped around the point of the hook once.  There was also a moment when I dropped my hackle (feather) and panicked but eventually found it.  I also got the hackle wrapped around the point of the hook once as well but was able to reverse my wraps and get things back on track.  I eventually got to the step where I needed to whip finish my thread (that means make a knot so my fly doesn't unravel) and this was tricky too.  I gave a couple of whip finishes because I thought too many knots is better than no knot.  I was ready to remove my blindfold but, I'll be honest I was scared to look at the results.  

I didn't know what to expect.  Would I cast my eyes upon a hideous monstrosity or something that at least resembled a wooly bugger.  I wasn't expecting perfection at all, but I was hoping that maybe I tied something that was fishable.  When I finally built up the courage to open my eyes, I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw.  It wasn't bad.

I inspected my creation and took time to notice the flaws as well as unexpected but favorable components.  Some very kind folks shared some generous praise with me, and I'll be honest, my ego inflated a little.  It felt good.  It always feels good to receive compliments but one glance at my fly brought me back down to earth.  It wasn't awful but it could have been better.  Between the internal and external conversation, I completely forgot that this was a conversation.

At some point, Cody (my youngest son) pointed out that awards were being handed out.  While I hadn't inspected the other contest entries, I thought I had a shot at not being at the bottom of the rankings.  In all honesty, that was all I was hoping for.  I know, those are some pretty low standards but I struggle with self confidence and always have.  I heard the name of the third place finisher and it wasn't me.  That was fine.  I then heard the name of the runner-up, and that too, wasn't me.  Finally, my buddy Eric gave me a slap on the back and said something to the effect of, "Well, I guess we are going to have to give this one to The Show Me Fly Guy."

What happened after that was a blur.  I can only liken it to what people experience when they win the Super Bowl and are then asked, "What are you going to do now?"  The only words I had were, "Are you serious?  Oh my gosh!  That's awesome!"  I had never won a fly tying contest before and at the risk of sounding egotistical, it felt really good.  That feeling didn't last long and humility rushed in without any hesitation.

I realized that I was standing in the presence of heroes and that is not an exaggeration.  It took seconds to realize that my small victory was miniscule when compared to what the other attendees had experienced.  Make no mistake about it, I valued every handshake and hug that I received from folks that I respect and appreciate more than I can describe.  I am not a veteran or a frontline worker.  I get to revel in and appreciate the freedoms that these fine folks have afforded me.  I get to tie flies blindfolded because of the efforts and sacrifices of our frontline workers.  

For a moment, I felt like an equal, but it was fleeting.  I'm not on the level of folks but I try to appreciate them at every chance I get.  So if you're a frontline worker or a member of Frontline Fly Fishing or a veteran of public service, please know that I appreciate you and everything that you have done for the citizens of the United States.  All of us that are indebted to you, appreciate what you have given us.  The trophy that I will proudly display for the rest of my life is not one of pride, but an acknowledgement of a tip of the cap from legends and heroes.



No comments:

Post a Comment