Monday, May 29, 2017

A (Potentially) Great Fly

Early last winter, I was playing around with some different color combinations on my go-to fly for bass, wipers, and white bass.  I stumbled upon a bluegill color combination that I was able to try out last week on some public water.  I ended up catching about 8-10 bass on this fly and lost maybe the biggest bass I have ever hooked on a fly rod.  This big ol' bucketmouth probably went about 5-6 pounds and tossed my fly on her second jump.  My flaw was probably not throwing this fly on an 8 weight and didn't get a deep enough hook set with my 6 weight set-up.  THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN, I assure you of that.  Anyway, back to my point of this being a good clear water and sunny day fly.  It is tied in the same style as The Brave which you can find tying instructions for on the Fly Tying tab at the top of this page.  It worked for me, I hope it works for you, and I hope we are both able to catch the big one that got away on this baby!







No comments:

Post a Comment