Friday, March 20, 2020

A Fly Tying Pattern to Keep You Busy...But Not Too Busy!

You guys know I am a sucker for zonkers.  Big zonkers, small zonkers, it doesn't matter.  However, I have seen so many patterns by now that I rarely come across something new or original but this video checked both boxes.  I really like how the host ties this fly but I also see a lot of room for creativity.  You could tie this with a cone head, with hackle in a couple places, and in a variety of colors.  If/When I tie this pattern, I think I am going to use an olive and white combination with just a hint of red.  Also, this is a fly that uses a few different materials and techniques which makes it fairly easy to tie but not so easy that you'll get bored with it quickly.  Like most patterns, it will probably be a little challenging at first but after you get the hang of it, I think it will look pretty amazing.  Also, I noticed that there wasn't any weight added to this fly.  If you are fishing a sink tip or sinking line, it doesn't really matter but if you mainly fish floating line, you might consider wrapping some lead wire first or maybe even some dumbell eyes.  No matter what, have fun with it and enjoy your time on the vise!


McFly Angler YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88cGtLpHiHEXhyUGiXFP7g

No comments:

Post a Comment