Monday, March 9, 2020

My Take on the Andreas Anderson's Project Sushi

I stumbled across this video the other day and it really spoke to me.  I had never seen a need for a fish skull, but this video gave me a good idea on how to use them AND get my articulated flies to sink faster.  I also dug the fact that this fly uses rabbit strips.  Here's the original video.


All credit to Brian Wise for making this video.  Here's a link to his Fly Fishing the Ozarks YouTube Channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH9Ra827nueyjCl3h7aLwvA

Now here is my take on the fly.  I chose to go a slightly different direction than using flash as the underbelly and decided to go with a complex twist instead.  These materials are a combination of medium, white pearl chenille, white schlappen, and longer fiber white pearl estaz.  I chose an black barred olive back to contrast with a white body.  I drew my inspiration from the countershading of most fish, especially baitfish.

White marabou and then black barred olive rabbit strip.  This is the rear hook.
Prepping for the complex twist.

Twist complete.
Pull the olive rabbit strip over zonker syle.


Attach wire to front hook.

Add beads and rear hook.

Tie in a wrap white marabou.  Tie in same type of rabbit strip.

Same complex twist and pull strip over zonker syle.

Tie in some EP fibers (white on bottom and olive on top) and build up a head for fish skull.

Attach fish skull.

Completed fly.

This baby is about 5-6 inches long.


No comments:

Post a Comment