Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Tying the Bunny Clouser


I saw this Clouser minnow variation on Instagram the other day and I had to give it a shot.  It is a pretty simple fly and my first one turned out really well.  All credit goes to Nick Lyter for this idea.  Feel free to follow him at @nicklyterflyfishing on Instagram.  Here are the step by step instructions that I followed.

1. Tie in dumbbell eyes.  
2. Tie in white bucktail in front of eyes.
3. Cross over the eyes and cover the bucktail until you get to the bend.
4. Tie in a strip of black barred, olive rabbit strip.  make it the same length as the bucktail.  
5. Peel the rabbit strip back and wrap over the bucktail one more time.  Cross over the eyes and stop.
6. Pull the rabbit strip forward and tie off.  
7. Build up the nose so that it has a taper.
8. Whip finish.  You're done...almost.
9. Get in your vehicle, drive to the nearest body of water, and test it out!

I'm really anxious to see how the rabbit strip moves in the water.  I'm sure that it will be muted a little because it will interact with the bucktail, but I think it will make this little minnow look a little..."twitchy".  I am going to give this fly a try on the water as soon as possible and if it works, you'll be able to find it at the Etsy online store!  It has to prove itself first though!

No comments:

Post a Comment