Wednesday, June 2, 2021

A Good Night on an HOA Pond


Monday night I was able to hit my favorite HOA pond.  It can be a little moody at times but this time of year is usually pretty good for the bass, bluegill, and hybrid bluegill bight.  I hooked into a decent bass and one of the biggest bluegill I have ever caught.  All of the fish were caught on a black, bead head wooly.  I chose this fly because the water was a little high, a little stained, and the sky was overcast.  Those seem to be the perfect combination for a black wooly and it was nice to choose the fly that worked right out of the gates.  

Some of the best moments came when I was doing some spotting and stalking along the bank.  I was actually able to target active fish that seemed to be feeding in the shallows.  On two occasions I was able to catch the fish that I was observing...I think.  I might have caught other fish instead, but in my mind, it makes a better memory.  I actually saw v-shaped wakes chase down my fly before it got eaten.  Both the bass and the big bluegill were caught this way and it was pretty darn exciting!  

Whether you are new to fly fishing or are a seasoned veteran, don't overlook the bodies of water that could be right under your nose like HOA ponds, farm ponds, or conservation areas.  They can hold some good populations of fish and quality fish as well.















 

No comments:

Post a Comment