Thursday, June 17, 2021

Catch the Most, the Biggest, or Your Way?

Larry Dahlberg is a pretty famous fisherman that used to host a television show called The Hung for Big Fish.  In one of the episodes he mentioned the four stages of fishing that he believes anglers go through in their lives.  Here are the stages that he described.  

Stage 1: You just want to catch one.
Stage 2: You want to catch a lot of fish.
Stage 3: You want to catch a big fish.
Stage 4: You want to catch fish the way that you want to catch them.

Ever since I heard him describe these stages, I have thought about whether I agree with him.  I have settled on the opinion that I believe in his belief to a certain degree.  I don't think this is a progressive thing in your life where you progress from one stage to another and that's that.  I think an angler can move between different stages depending on a lot of factors and that this movement is fluid.  In other words, an angler might be in stage 2 one day and stage 4 the next.  

For example, when I went on my smallmouth trip, I started the day off in stage 1.  After I landed my first fish, I moved to stage 2 within seconds.  On the other hand, there are some farm ponds that I fish where I have a stage 3 mentality because I know there is a big bass to be caught there.  And yet at other ponds, I want to catch fish on mouse flies and I refuse to touch another fly.  If they won't hit a mouse then I don't want to catch any at all.

So what do you think?  Do you think this is nonsense and inaccurate?  Do you think that there are other stages?  It is at the very least something to contemplate but if you should feel so inclined, feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section below.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions and there is zero judgement.  I'm just curious about others' perspectives and points of view so feel free to share yours!


No comments:

Post a Comment