Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Floating Southwest Missouri Streams

 

I absolutely love southwest Missouri!  One of the reasons I appreciate this region so much is because of all the bodies of water that exist in this region.  Springs, lakes, and streams are more plentiful than where I live in northern Missouri.  The water is clearer and the fish have more diversity.  This is why I am planning on retiring and moving to southwest Missouri when I retire in about 10 years.  I want to explore the area and see the some of the sights that I have not been able to get to while maintaining a career.  

I have floated a few streams in the area but to be honest, it is a little overwhelming when tryin to decide the next location.  Trying to decide where access points are, how long to float, and the quality of fisheries can make for some mind-boggling decisions.  On top of that, I have at least a 3 hour drive from my home so if there's not a lot of room for error.  It's not like I can just give it another shot the following day.  There have been times where I have tried to plan a float and ended up just throwing my hands up in the air and said "Oh forget it.  I'll just got to Bennett and wade."  Well wouldn't you know it that the Missouri Department of Conservation is here to help.

If you're in a similar boat as me (see what I did there?), then we both might benefit from the virtual program that MDC is putting on.  On July 7 from 2:30-3:00, MDC will be providing information on 10 streams to float in southwest Missouri.  Information will range from put-in and take-out locations as well as highlights of each stream.  I am really hoping that this session helps me plan my next couple trips!  I have registered for the event so hopefully I virtually see you there.

Link: https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/top-southwest-missouri-float-streams-will-be-focus-july-7-mdc-program

No comments:

Post a Comment