Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Fishing a Small Jig Under an Indicator


Sometimes it feels like cheating.  At other times, I wonder if I am even "technically" fly fishing.  But then there are times when I catch some hard fighting bluegill on a three weight.  From time to time, I get a surprise catch like a 4 pound bass.  This method is deadly at any trout part as well as Lake Taneycomo.  It has also been a pretty productive way to catch catfish on a fly.  The method that I speak of is a small jig under an indicator.

The set up is pretty simple.  I peel some fluorocarbon straight off a spool.  For trout in clear water, I use 2 pound.  For bluegill and bass I use 6 pound.  From there, I attach 9 feet of leader for trout and 6 feet for bluegill and bass.  Finally, I put the indicator approximately 2 feet up the line.  If I think the fish are deeper or fish a deep hole for trout, I move the indicator up the line.  As for flies, I like to use jig-style hooks with lead heads.  I tie all my jigs on 1/80 ounce lead heads that have size 10 hooks.

As for how I work the jig when I am fishing it, I have found that the less action and movement you give it, the better.  It's almost like fishing with a plastic work on conventional tackle; you can work it too fast but you can't work it too slow.  There are rare days when fish will only hit it on a long slow retrieve.  At other times, they want an erratic action.  However, most days I can just cast it out a let it sit.  Lately, fish have been hitting the fly within 8 seconds of hitting the water and sometimes on the drop.  If I don't get a bite after 8 seconds, I give it a little action.  If that doesn't work, I recast to the same spot or try a new one.

This is not rocket science folks.  This is a great set-up for newbies because it is an easy method to catch fish.  More seasoned anglers might see it as boring and I get it.  If you're staring at a bobber, why not just have a Zebco and a nightcrawler?  On trout streams, this is equivalent to nymphing and can be equally effective at times.  On warmer waters, this method catches a lot of smaller fish, which some folks don't have a desire for.  On the other hand, I will hook into the occasional 2-4 pound bass on a 1/80 ounce jig.  This is also a great end up with a catfish bending your fly rod too.  I have caught catfish on woolies but exponentially more on a jig set up.  

Some people will turn their nose up to this and I really don't blame them.  It's not throwing a big streamer for big predators.  It isn't throwing a size 14 Adams for a consistently rising trout.  It is casting a fly with an indicator messing up pretty casts and then staring at said indicator.  No, it is not a "cool" or traditional way to fly fish...but holy cow does it catch fish!  You be the judge and decide if this is a method that you want to utilize and then go for it as long as you have fun with it.

I also sell a variety of jigs on my Etsy store.  Here's a link in case you are interested: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheShowMeFlyGuy













No comments:

Post a Comment