Friday, August 5, 2022

Upcoming Events at Bennett Spring State Park

If you have never visited Bennett Spring State Park near Lebanon, Missouri, it might be worth checking it out.  If you have visited, you've probably landed a few rainbow trout in the park.  It's hard not to hook a few.  Yes, it is a trout park that releases a lot of hatchery-raised and stocked rainbow trout.  I'm not going to lie to you.  On the flip side, it is a beautiful place that is nestled in the hills of the Ozarks that folks have been rushing to for many, many years.  Yes, you can fish shoulder to shoulder with another angler on opening day or you can usually find a spot off the beaten path for some solitude.  

It's where I learned to fly fish, where I learned about how beautiful rainbow trout are, and where I fell in love with the Ozarks.  I love Bennett Spring State Park and that is not hyperbole.  It has given me some memories that will follow me to my grave and I still, to this day, get a rush of adrenaline when I pull into the park entrance.  My passion for fly fishing came from this place.  I remember seeing folks in the park that were fly fishing, catching fish on every other cast, and thinking to myself "I want to be like that someday!"  I'm not saying that's who I am now, but I'm a whole lot closer than I used to be.  It is also safe to say that I wouldn't be who I am today without Bennett Spring State Park.  It's scary to think that I might be watching folks play video games on YouTube or managing a low quality stamp collection. Yikes!  

I wrote all of that to write this.  I was contacted by a very nice gentleman the other day that asked me to relay some information about some upcoming events at Bennett Spring State Park.  I was happy to oblige and this is the post that shall convey such information.



Fly tyers who might be at Bennett Springs State Park during the week to drop  by the nature center for open fly tying.  Bring your fly tying vise and materials and sit down with us, or just drop in for conversation.  A group of fly tyers, local and from around the state, started meeting at the Nature Center about 1 year ago, with a purpose of tying flies.  It is up to the individual fly tyer what he or she ties, with no set program, no officers, no dues, but a full pot of coffee and LOTS of conversation/stories.  We meet from 9 AM to 12 Noon on Wednesdays at the Nature Center.  The only days we do not meet would be in winter on days when schools cancel due to weather and bad road conditions.  We have good conversation, trade tying techniques, and maybe a fly or two.  If any of the public happen to come into the Center to see the Center's displays we offer to have them sit down and learn to tie a fly, no matter the age.


At the Kids Free Fishing Days there will be fly tying, free casting lessons, and a few other events for the kids.  There may be free flies  given out by the Bennett Spring Fly Tyers Group, until they run out.


Special areas will be marked in Zone 2 and Zone 3 for Kid's Day and Women's Day.


If you are not familiar with the MAYFLY PROJECT it is a very worthwhile program. , here is a link to the national program: https://themayflyproject.com

No comments:

Post a Comment