Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Inexpensive, Locking Tackle Box Trays


While I was in Wyoming, I noticed that the guides we fished with had tool boxes similar to ones shown in the picture above.  They looked like nicer versions of the translucent boxes that conventional tackle like crankbaits and topwater lures get organized in.  One difference between the two was that the boxes were deeper.  Another difference was that they looked a little bit tougher and would stand up to a beating better.  I took that idea and brought it home with me.

I thought that I would use a similar box to potentially replace my fishing backpack.  I was at Walmart the other day and decided to look and see if they had something similar to what I had seen the guides using.  To my surprise, not only did they have a box, then had a pair of them that came together.  On top of that, the total cost about $12!  To top things off, the boxes actually lock together and can be carried as one unit.  The final, cool feature was that the locking mechanism can be used to lock the trays from opening.  That little bit of insurance could be the difference between spilling the contents all over the place.  I had to buy them and see if they could benefit my organizational setup.

To make a long story short, there was just too much stuff to move from my backpack and into the boxes.  So I decided to keep the main contents of the backpack but the extras and nonessential would be placed in a box to lighten the load.  A couple of benefits to this were that make my backpack became a lot lighter but less cluttered as well.  I can find things easier and my back doesn't hurt.  Another bonus was that I can still bring along the nonessential items and just leave them in the back of my truck.  They are still available but I don't have to tote them around with me everywhere I go.  

I have included a link to the boxes below.  I am curious to see how they stand up to the abuse that I notoriously put my things through.  Only time will tell, but for now, I really like this setup.  I can see the benefits from something like this on a boat or just being left in a truck.  This could be something that you use daily or have as a backup plan.  These boxes would be great for housing bigger flies, indicators, weights, leader, and tippet spools.  The possibilities are endless and I hope that you can find something from this post that makes your life more organized/easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment