Friday, April 29, 2022

My Fishing Backpack

I carry my fishing backpack everywhere I hit the water.  Besides a rod and reel, it is one of the few things that I cannot leave the house without.  I decided to share the contents of the bag with you in case you were curious as to what I carry or maybe wanted some idea on how to start your own fishing backpack.

1. The Bag- Yes, it's a tackle box.  I prefer the backpack because it frees up one of my hand.  As for the bag itself, I'll be honest, I bought this thing at a thrift store.  I found the biggest bag with the most pockets and options and scooped that sucker up for about $7.00.  Yes, you can buy fishing backpacks from Orvis, Bass Pro, and Fishpond.  And yes, those things are awesome, durable, and cool looking.  I would just rather invest my money into other fishing-related items.  Let's just call it different strokes for different folks.

2. Spool Organizer- I primarily use 6, 8, and 10 pound fluorocarbon as a leader or tippet or whatever you want to call it.  I don't use tapered leader because I just don't see a need for it and can live without it.  Again, this is a cost saving move and I don't have to feel bad about those pesky wind knots

3. Tools- you need them and there is no avoiding it.  I always have a knot tying tool, scissors, a digital scale, and a backup scale.  I also keep a pair of pliers, a filet knife, and cutting board as well.

4. Flies- how did these things get pushed to number 4?  I don't know, but you need flies.  I tend to always have a box of jigs, dries, and buggers.  I can catch just about any fish in Missouri on these flies.  I also have a miscellaneous box with streamers, poppers, and a few other random flies that don't fit the themes of the other boxes.

5. Sunblock and Bug Spray- it's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment