Wednesday, April 20, 2022

DIY Fly Rod Transport Tube- Part 2

 

The fly rod transport tube is coming right along.  Recently, I was able to successfully make one tube that will be used to transport a fully assembled fly rod.  I used an angle grinder to cut a channel in a 2" piece of PVC.  I also cut the cannel into the threaded component as well.  The rod slides into the tube, butts up against the end of the channel, and a screw-on cap keeps the rod from coming out.  In all, the entire tube cost me about $30.

Last night, I also purchased a ladder rack.  I got a heck of a deal on it and only paid $175 for it.  On top of that, the very kind gentleman that I bought it from also installed it for me and gave me some pointers on my project.  I included some pictures of the tube on the rack but things are still far from complete.

Next on the agenda is to purchase and fabricate another tube.  This one is going to need a wider channel for bigger rods and reels.  I also need some U bolts to attach the the tubes to the rack.  Additionally, I also need to sand the tubes and paint them as well.  This project is far from complete but has cleared some mighty big hurdles and the biggest costs are behind me now.  














No comments:

Post a Comment