Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Weekend Fishing Report- The Conclusion- The Lunch Money Bite


As interesting as the fishing experience was on Saturday evening, Sunday proved to be a stark contrast in style.  Rather than throwing a wooly bugger with a five weight, I opted for a big, nasty streamer on an eight weight on some northwest Missouri farm ponds.  Wendy, Collin, my boys, Corey, Joe, and I hit 3 different ponds and caught some decent fish in the process.  The bite wasn't completely on fire, but it was consistent.  Wendy caught some bass on a spinnerbait, Joe caught some on small bluegill streamers and Corey caught some on a white and red streamer.  the fish were just a little off the bank and still a little hesitant to come into the shallows.  With last week's roller coaster of weather and a lack of vegetation in the shallows thus far, it makes sense why they are in deeper, darker water.  They are feeding however.  We noticed full bellies and healthy looking fish that were aggressive.

I caught all of my fish on a black Lunch Money.  I like to call this color combo "Baba Yaga" as a nod to the Slavic folklore about a boogeyman-type creature.  It's also a reference to the first John Wick movie.  In the movie, John is referred to as "Baba Yaga".  A character asks if John is the boogeyman.  He is told by his father that John is the one that gets sent to kill the boogeyman.  I've always liked that dark, ominous visual so I decided that it fit this all black with a little red accent color combo.

This particular incarnation of the Lunch Money is tied on a 1/0 hook.  It has a good sink rate but can be thrown in the shallows and then stripped into deeper water where fish might be holding.  The murky pond water, overcast skies, and fish holding off the bank proved to be the perfect conditions for this fly.  This was the exact scenario that I tied this fly for.  I see this as a spring and fall pattern that might also work at night during the summer as well.  I had never thrown this pattern before and was extremely happy with how it produced.  It even produced a 10 inch crappie as well, which was a pretty big surprise!  

Be on the lookout!  These might be available for purchase online soon!  I will definitely have some at the Tri-Lakes Fly Fishing Expo this weekend in Clinton, Missouri!









No comments:

Post a Comment