Tuesday, April 26, 2022

DIY Fly Rod Transport Tube- Part 3


The fly rod transport system has taken some significant steps forward since the last post.  Feel free to read part 1 here and part 2 here.  I completed fabrication on a second tube yesterday.  This tube needed the openings to be larger because of the of the thicker handle and larger reel.  An 8 weight was used as the model for this rod tube.  Now I have have a tube for smaller weight rods as well as bigger weight rods.  I also installed some u-bolts as well and the tubes are extremely stable.  I've also had the chance to field test the system and so far, I absolutely love it!

Next, I need to decide if I want my ladder racks where they are or if I want to spread them out more.  Right now, the front and back of each tube is pretty bouncy.  If I spread the racks apart, I will have less bounce by the middle of the tube will probably sag some.  I'm thinking that less bounce will ensure less rubbing on the guides and guide wraps on the rods so I will probably go with this option.  I'm also planning on sanding down the tubes and giving them paint jobs.  I'm going to try to give each tube a fish-themed paint job but if the results are less than desirable, I'll just hit them with some black paint and they will blend in with the racks and truck.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment