Monday, April 18, 2022

Weekend Fishing Report- The Farm Pond Bass Were Shallow


I've been extremely fortunate to fish some of my favorite farm ponds a lot this spring.  I've gotten a chance to watch the bass move out of the depths and into the shallows.  The bass have changed from being concentrated in a few spots to spreading out to different areas of the ponds as activity has increased.  I've also gotten to fish clear water as well as murky water which has allowed me to try out some new flies and color combinations.  Last Saturday reminded me that that sometimes there are patterns within patterns.  

A buddy of mine and I hit four farm ponds total last Saturday.   On some water, the fish were active and ready to eat.  On others, the bit was slower.  At the end of the day though, there was a pattern that revealed itself.  All of the fish that we caught came in shallow water.  It appeared that the fish were either looking for warmer water, preparing to spawn, or maybe both.  Regardless, the takes were aggressive and fishing deep water was futile.  

The water clarity also varied from pond to pond but that didn't effect the locations of the fish.  On darker water, a black Lunch Money was the ticket.  On clearer water, an olive and yellow Lunch Money worked.  As you can tell from the pictures, the stained water produced more bites.  In all, I probably caught 20 bass with 15 of them coming on a black Lunch Money.  It was a heck of a day on the water but I'm already fretting the post spawn conditions.  I guess when things get slow, it will be time to give the bluegill a few lip piercings!

If you're interested, you can find these flies in my Etsy store.  No pressure to buy and all support is appreciated!









No comments:

Post a Comment