Thursday, April 21, 2022

Tiger-Style Lunch Money


Recently, I completed a custom order of Lunch Money flies that a customer requested.  He asked for them to have a combination of dark colors and light colors.  Green and white, green and yellow, and gray and white color combinations were easy to come up with but after that, I got a little stumped.  Coming up with another combination eluded me.  I finally settled on a black and yellow combination and I have mixed feelings about this fly.  By the way, my buddies and I refer to this as the tiger-style color combination as a nod to good old Mizzou.

My first thought is that I cannot think of any fish that is black and yellow.  Because of that, I'm immediately apprehensive.  On the other hand, bass will sometimes just react to motion and color.  They are opportunists and not always the most discerning or picky eaters.  I also know that trout LOVE black and yellow jigs so that gives me more faith in the color combo.  I think this calls for a little field testing and as soon as that goes down (if we ever get some good weather) I will let you know how it turns out.  Since I am from the Show-Me State, I have to see this thing work in order to decide if it needs a spot in the rotation.  What do YOU think?  Feel free to leave a comment below.

 

2 comments:

  1. Tiger is a great name for the Black and Yellow Lunch Money. I think the yellow color will become somewhat muted in murky water and show as more green in green tinted water. I wonder if changing the yellow rubberband looking pieces to red might simulate an injured fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are EXCELLENT observations and a great call with the red color! Thanks for the thoughts and idea buddy!

    ReplyDelete