Monday, April 24, 2017

Bennett Springs Fishing Report- Last Friday and Saturday

Rather than chasing turkeys last weekend, my buddy Busch and I met up at Bennett Spring to chase trout.  For the sake of time (both yours and mine) I am going to highlight the important parts of the weekend using bullets to keep things short and concise.

  • Busch arrived around noon on Friday.  It had been raining, it was raining, and it rained the rest of the day.  He was able to catch about 5 fish in the rising, murky water.
  • I arrived at about 6:30 and was able to land 1 fish before 7:30 when the horn sounded.  I was just happy to get a fish on the board with the less-than-ideal conditions.
  • Friday night it rained...HARD.  It looked like a waterfall coming off the roof of Sand Spring Resort.
  • On Saturday morning, the west entrance to the park was closed and the wooden bridge was under water.  I had seen pictures of this but I had never seen this before in person.
  • There weren't a lot of cars/trucks in the parking lot Saturday morning and most folks didn't hang around long.  I think Busch caught a couple above the spillway and I got skunked.  All the usual spots were A LOT deeper, faster, and murky.  
  • We went to some fly shops for advice on where and what to fish.  Megaworms, orange flies, and slack water were the suggestions.
  • I fished the east arch under the bridge at the end of zone 1 and caught five in the early afternoon.
  • I came back and fished with same spot with Busch on Saturday evening.  He caught about 10 or so and I caught 7 more.  This was the hardest I have had to work for 12 fish in A LONG time at Bennett.  
  • I did manage to get into a nice 14" brown.  That was the highlight of the trip for me and made toughing out the wind, the cold, and the rain worth it.
  • More to come tomorrow on what happened on Sunday.  Here's a teaser- the fishing got better...A LOT BETTER!





























No comments:

Post a Comment