Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Lewis Flies

I know I have said this before so I apologize that I am repeating myself, but social media is really cool when it brings like-minded folks together.  The particular story is about a young man from New Mexico with a dream.  No, it's not one of those Paul Harvey stories where I end up being the young man from New Mexico.  This particular story is about a young man just trying to find his way in this world, sell a few flies, buy some fly fishing gear, and enjoy his youth.  But I'm getting ahead of myself so let's back up a little shall we?



I was perusing Instagram one day getting jealous of big fish that I was seeing and checking out some fly patterns.  One particular pattern caught my eye so I decided to learn more about "Fly Tying Dude".  This "Dude" has some serious skills and seeing a young man that obviously has the fly fishing fire burning inside his soul, well it just makes me happy.  I also found out that the "Dude" was/is taking custom fly orders and I realized that I might be able to drum up some business for the little fella.  So that's what I am doing as well as promoting the kid's YouTube channel and Instagram account.  



Come to find out, the "Dude's" actual name is Austin and he lives in Northeast New Mexico.  His home water is the Cimarron River.  He started fly fishing at 10 and has been tying since 15.  He has made his own dubbing mix, developed his own fly pattern, and makes it a point to tie at least 30 minutes a day.  He's a good kid with a passion for our sport so if you can throw any business or support his way, I am sure it would be greatly appreciated.  You can message him with your fly orders on Instagram and his username is @FlyTyingDude.  You can also subscribe to his YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRI5EiKu9BkUCb5ofJDm8ug or at least watch some of his videos.  Again, social media is fun when it brings fly fishermen together and helps out a young man in the process.










1 comment:

  1. Whenever he comes down from the ranch to our home, he is busy tying while sitting on the couch with a TV tray in front of him. We go fishing in the Corrales drain ditches next to the Rio Grande where he tries his new flies out. He also loves to go into town and buys the sporting shops out of materials. Oh did I forget to mention, I am his grandma and very proud of my 16 year old Dude and his skill.

    ReplyDelete