Monday, April 3, 2017

Common Mistakes


First of all, I like Tim Romano's (author of 10 Common Fly Fishing Mistakes) work almost as much as I like Joe Cermele's.  Both writers have a way of getting right to what they want to say while making their points entertaining and pertinent.  I find this article particularly helpful because like so many of us, I am self-taught fly fishermen and admittedly still have a lot of learning to do.  This article is a nice reminder of things that I need to improve upon without being smug or self-righteous.  I was able to take a few things away from this article and I hope you are able to do the same.  Here are my items that applied to me and a few things I need to work on.

Categories I Fall Into:
#1 False Casting Too Much
I false casting WAY too much especially for carp and spook more than I should in the process.  I think I false cast too much because I still find casting to be so much doggone fun...still!

#4 Fishing The Wrong Spots
Heck,I don't know where the fish are half the time.  I am consistently fishing muddy or stained water- I can't see jack!

#8 Poorly Setting The Hook
Admittedly, it takes me a few hook sets to shake the rust off and get in my groove.  Once I get a few bites and start hooking fish, my landing percentage tends to go up but I just wish I didn't have the "warm-up" phase that I seem to go through so often.

#10 Taking Too Long To Land Fish
I have lost enough fish in my life that I probably play them for too long.  Does it equal things out if I spend extra time reviving them?

Link: http://www.fieldandstream.com/10-common-flyfishing-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them

No comments:

Post a Comment