Thursday, April 6, 2017

Echo Base Reel Review



I am not sure how, but I guess I somehow ended up on Santa's "Nice List" because he brought me an Echo Base Reel for Christmas.  I had my eye on this little beauty for a long time and couldn't wait to pair it with one of my Echo rods.  My thought was that if tthe reel performs anything like them, then I am in for a lot of fun.

I like Echo products (and no, I am not getting paid for this) because you get a lot of quality for your money.  I have two rods that cost $150 or less a piece and this reel retails for about $35 at Rainbow Fly Shop.  I am not a an extremely wealthy person so I need my dollar to go as far as it can and that's why I am starting to fill my fly rod cabinet with Echo stuff.  With that being said, here's what I like about the reel.


It's light.  No, it is not made out of aircraft grade aluminum or machined on a CNC machine, but it is a pretty lightweight material.  I am guess that it is some sort of composite plastic but I couldn't care less.  It looks like it is going to hold up to my abuse just fine.


Another cool feature is the V-shaped arbor.  It looks like it will be able to hold a greater amount of backing and seems like it is a better use of space.  It reminds me a little bit of the Redington Behomoth design and I am a huge fan of that piece of engineering as well.  Aside from being able to spool more line, I just think it looks cool and unique.

Most importantly, it doesn't have an obnoxious clicking sound.  I hate that.  There is nothing more annoying to me (or others on the water for that matter) than a loud as heck reel that announces to the world that someone is done fishing for the day as they wind up their fly line.  I greatly appreciate that little piece of engineering.  The only thing better than quiet clicking is no sound at all, at least in terms of when it is being reeled.  However, when a fish is running, that's a slightly different story.  While peeling line off the reel, there is a light clicking sound that is produced, but it is quiet and the vibrations that are produced as a result are light yet noticeable.  Not that I am wanting everyone within ear shot to hear my fish running!  Heavens no.  I just like the sound and associated feel of having a big fish engaging the drag system.


Finally, the reel is simple.  The spool comes off the housing easily and with little effort.  The drag system is enclosed which will hopefully equate to less sand and gravel making the reel stick.  The drag dial is also easy to find as well as adjust and isn't one of those little bitty knobs that is difficult to find and adjust when you need it most.  The settings range greatly from a slight drag to an almost full "lock down".

Overall, this is a great reel for your money and if you are on a tight budget, then you might kick the tires on this model.


No comments:

Post a Comment