Thursday, March 18, 2021

Bass Pro Shops 7/8 Intruder Fly Reel- I Have a Problem With You!


I don't put a lot of stock into reels.  To me, they are glorified line holders.  I can recall less than ten times that I have really relied on the drag system of my reel to fight a fish.  More so, during those times, I had my drag set light enough that I palmed the reel, thus creating my own drag.  As a result of these things, I don't drop a lot of money on reels. That's why I purchased a 7/8 Intruder reel from Bass Pro Shops for $30.  Now before I vent my frustration, please understand that I am not trying to drag Bass Pro through the mud for their product.  I have worked there, benefitted from Bass Pro's charitable work, and genuinely love Bass Pro.  Instead, I'm just looking to see if anyone else has the same problem I am having with this reel or this is a "you get what you pay for" type of situation.

The problem that I am having is when I peel off line to cast.  When I aggressively pull some line off the reel, the gear mechanism (I'm totally guessing here by the way) seems to completely disengage and the reel goes into a drag-free spin. As a result, the fly line jumps off the reel and creates a bird's nest type situation as you can see in the picture above.  I've adapted how I peel line to mitigate the problem but it's still a pain in the rear.  This is where my request to you comes in to play.  

If you have this type of reel, have you had this happen before?  Do you know of a fix for this problem?  Should I take it to Bass Pro and ask them to replace it?  I've had this reel for a couple of years now and I feel awkward asking for a replacement after so much time.  Should I just bite the bullet and buy a better 8 weight reel?  I will say this, if I was ever going to need a drag system on a reel, it would be on an 8 weight?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to comment below, message me on Facebook, or even shoot me an email.  

No comments:

Post a Comment