Tuesday, March 30, 2021

We Bought a Dog!


The last time I had a puppy was when I was in 6th grade and the last time I owned a dog (which was with a girl I dated at the time and who subsequently took the dog after the break up) was in 2003.  So yes, it has been a while since I had a dog.  Don't get me wrong, I love dogs.  I love their personalities, abilities, and affection.  What has kept me from wanting to own a dog was the amount of responsibility that comes along with said ownership.  

One could say that I have a lot of irons in the fire.  I keep pretty busy and the prospect of dog ownership would obviously add to the workload.  I'm a pretty analytical thinker and dog ownership didn't seem to make sense.  Logical thinking went out the window however when I first laid eyes on Waylon.  He was a puppy in a litter that belonged to my buddy Jason.  He was looking for a good home for one of the pups and suggested that we come "take a look" at him.  We all know what is bound to happen when you "look" at a puppy.  Anyway, thanks to some generosity from my buddy Mark and Wendy agreeing to taking on such a commitment, there is now a dog in the house.  


He is a German shorthair pointer and turns 10 weeks old today.  He's pretty smart and very affectionate.  He plays hard and naps harder too!  He potty trained in a few days, can sit on command, and is working on kennel training.  Sure, he can be a pain sometimes but his positives outweigh his negatives.  I want to take a moment to thank Wendy from the bottom of my heart for all of the work that she has done with him and hours of sleep that she has donated to care for him.  If it weren't for her, I would feel overwhelmed and stressed beyond belief.

You will be seeing plenty of pictures of Waylon in the future.  I plan on sharing our adventures together as well as his growth.  Don't get me wrong, I will stick to the fly fishing theme of this blog as well!  Make no mistake about it, Waylon is going to be a fishing (and maybe shed-hunting) dog.  I haven't taken him out on a boat yet, but that will be happening soon.  I'm a little nervous about how he will take to the water and the idea of fishing, but he seems pretty bright and influential so I am hopeful that exposing him to these things will bring about some fun experiences.  So here we go!  I guess it is time for this old dog to learn some new tricks.







No comments:

Post a Comment