Tuesday, October 4, 2022

A Review of the Homemade Fly Rod Transport System


I have been using my homemade fly rod transport system since early June and I figured it was time for him to give you an update on some things that I have noticed.  In the four months that I have been using the system, there have been some positives and negatives.  The positives have been that transporting fully assembled fly rods has been a huge convenience.  This thing is worth its weight in gold.  It is incredibly convenient.  I have all the confidence in the world in its ability to safely secure my rods and I don't even thing about them falling out.  Plus, I just like the look.  It makes my truck easy to find in a parking lot and it I've had a few people compliment it as well.

The negatives are twofold.

1. I have noticed some sagging in the middle of the PVC tubes.  This doesn't really bother me but I thought it was worth passing along.  I am certain that if I were to move the ladder racks closer to one another that the middle would not sag but the ends would.  I prefer a bow in the middle to be honest.  Most folks probably don't notice it as much as me...I hope.

2. I have noticed some scuffing on the guide raps on my rods.  While this doesn't bother me much either, I thought it was worth passing along in case you decide to complete a similar project.  It is also noteworthy that I only transport my less expensive, workhorse rods this way.  I'm not going to put the Orivs Helios that Wendy gave me as a wedding gift in the tubes.  I still need to find a way to combat the problem, but for now, it is bareable.  




No comments:

Post a Comment