Tuesday, October 18, 2022

My First Attempt at Guiding- Part 1


After we were done shooting some guns, Corey and I hung some trail cameras and got to do a little fishing.  We both needed to get home but decided to squeeze in a little time on the water.  With the crops out of the fields, not only can we shoot guns at long distances but we can access some farm ponds that were once inaccessible due to the crops surrounding them.  I had one pond in mind that I wanted to fish but as we got closer to it, we found machinery in the fields and didn't want to get in anyone's way.  Instead, we drove to another nearby pond that can provide some pretty good fishing as well.

Corey and I both noted that we felt like divine intervention was trying to send us to where we belonged.  We arrived at the pond and quickly unloaded the boat and hit the water.  Corey was more concerned about brining firepower to the farm on this particular day and didn't bring a rod.  I had brought one eight weight rod and a few flies.  We decided on the idea that we would take turns.  One guy would catch a fish while the other ran the boat.  After each catch, we would trade roles.  This did not last long.

Corey actually caught a fish on his first cast...sort of.  He made a cast to the bank just to let out some line and the fly trailed behind us as we maneuvered the boat to a better spot.  It didn't take either of us very long to figure out that the fishing was going to be pretty good.  I know this pond really well, and when the fishing is hot, it is really hot!  It should also be noted that between Wendy, Collin, Mason, and I, we used a lot of his ammo over the course of the day.  I offered to reimburse him but he declined so I felt like I kind of owed him one.  That's one of the reasons that I didn't ask for the fly rod to be handed over.  I also saw an opportunity to do a little guiding.


No comments:

Post a Comment