Friday, October 7, 2022

How to Get a Cool Picture off an iPhone Video


I got to hit the water for a little bit of time the other day and decided to take my iPhone and a tripod with me.  I wanted to get some footage of my casting to critique myself and see what my cast looks like.  It wasn't a vanity thing, but more of a curiosity thing.  I really have no idea what my cast looks like except from my point of view which doesn't really tell the whole story.  I also wanted to see if I could get some footage of hooking up with a fish.  I figured this might be fun to watch and to share on social media.  I also wanted footage in case I hooked into something memorable.  For all of these reasons, I suggest giving this a shot.  

While watching the footage, I caught some interesting moments.  There was video of forward casting, back casting, and setting the hook.  While the video was alright, I really wanted to pause and capture specific moments from the video.  What I wanted was to extract photographs from the video.  I found out that it is really simple as well.  There are just a few steps and I have included the link that I used to make this happen.


Here's the gist of it though:

1. Go to the video in camera roll

2. Hit EDIT

3. Scrub through the frames until you find a good one

4. take the screenshot by pressing home+off button

5. To get rid of all the unwanted "stuff" in the picture, just view the picture in your camera roll, click EDIT, and crop out the extra "stuff".


You might be surprised at what you see or what you don't see.  No matter what though, you will have some interesting things to look at and critique.  You might even share them with others.  No matter what, if you hook into a great fish while doing this, nobody can accuse you of an exaggerated fish story!




No comments:

Post a Comment