Thursday, November 10, 2016

Private land open to the public?


This is an interesting idea that the Missouri Department of Conservation has come up with.  Essentially, the department has come up with a program that helps open up private land to the public.  When I first read the article, my first thoughts were positive and general in the sense that I think that there needs to be more public land and water.  I think MDC does a great job with what they have but I also think that we always need to be looking for more opportunities to free up more property for those that don't have family farm land or otherwise.  However, I was shocked to read the negativity in response to the article on Facebook.  PEOPLE WERE TICKED!  And it isn't like there were just a couple!  Everybody was talking trash on the program and coming up with potential problems as well as flaws in the current structure.  At first I just thought it was a bunch of internet trolls looking to vent about anything, but then after I thought about their reasoning, it kind of started to make sense.  So now I am torn.  While everything so far is happening on the eastern side of the state and doesn't effect me directly right now, I think it is important for ALL Missourians that enjoy their time outdoors to stay informed about changes to public land access.  I would really like to see and read what you think about the program and its merits.  PLEASE comment in the section below if you read the article and have positive or negative feelings about the program.

Missouri Department of Conservation press release link: https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-and-private-landowners-provide-new-public-hunting-fishing-and-wildlife-viewing-areas

Article link: http://kplr11.com/2016/10/26/getting-private-land-owners-to-open-up-properties-to-outdoor-recreation-activities/

Program link: https://mdc.mo.gov/property/property-assistance/missouri-outdoor-recreational-access-program-mrap

No comments:

Post a Comment