Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Night Before The Opening Day of Deer Season (Rifle) and Catching Farm Pond Fish...Still!

I look forward to the opening day of deer season every year.  Admittedly, I am not a very good hunter but I always look forward to the chance of spending time with friends, enjoying the outdoors and maybe getting a chance to shoot a nice buck.  After 13 years of deer hunting, I still have yet to kill a deer over 120 inches but every set of antlers that hang on the wall of my basement has a great story to go along with it and each story involves a friend that I love as much as life itself.  That's why I love deer season.  

This year, I was able to get up to my hunting cabin with some time to kill before the sun went down on opening day eve.  Since I am not one to just sit around and watch life go by while rocking on a front porch, I decided to string up a fly rod and hit a farm pond.  I didn't think that I would have much chance of success even though this fall has been unseasonably warm.  Temps had been cooling down over the last week, but I thought maybe the evening temps would get the fish into an active feeding mood.  I was right (which is rare, just ask my wife) and I landed a couple of nice bluegill and missed a few as well.  While I didn't get a deer on opening weekend, I did gain the memory of catching some farm pond fish the night before opening day...which is just plain weird but also memorable.



No comments:

Post a Comment