Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The Busch Went Down To Bennett (Part 2 of 2)

As I walked up, barely able to balance myself on the slick rocks and nearly drowning no less than 4 times, the OFG was practically whistling “Everything is Awesome” from the Lego Movie. Not to make fun, but the OFG sees the world through rose colored, polarized sunglasses. Also, I am ridiculously negative (at least that’s what my wife says, I find myself to be a charming realist). Not knocking either side of things (especially my side), the world needs both. Shake off a little rust the OFG says. Ha, I felt like it was my first time out with a new arm. I now know what it feels like to walk for the first time. So as I am hearing how great everything is:
I meet the Fly Fishing Phenom. Good for him, catching a fish.

Hey, there’s Pat, good seeing you buddy. Ooooh nice fish:

OFG, how you doin? Nice fish.

To the OFG, hey this Austin kid is pretty good.

There’s Pat with another. Man, fishing is so much fun. Having just a great time out here with the guys.

And the OFG. Will you please stop whistling zippity doo dah... I mean Nice fish.

Anybody want to buy some fishing gear?
$500 obo. It's a bargain at twice the price.

Look to my Left


Look to my right. Well Pat aren't you just the Charlie Daniels of the five weight.

Even Santa Claus is in on the action

Santa, I gotta tell ya, this ranks right up there with the time you failed to bring me Skeletor’s Snake Mountain Castle when I was five. Remember? The one with the microphone that changed your voice to sound like Skeletor’s. I really thought you made up for that with the GI Joe hovercraft that my sister spent hours putting together for me. Then I took it apart and hid said parts around my parent’s house to mimic how Voltron’s individual parts all lived in different places. My parents may still be finding said parts 30 years later. (sorry, Jen). But this, Santa? This is just piling on, Santa.
Anyway,
$250 obo. Any Takers?


Me: Hey buddy, how deep ya’ fishing? 18 inches, you say? (Checks depth, 18 inches) Hmm, better move the indicator a little to feel like I actually have some say in this matter.


Ok, definitely selling my stuff. $200 obo. I swear it all works in the right hands. The right hands being anyone’s but mine.

Why do i even do this? I’m cold and wet and not catching fish. This isn’t even going to be a good story. Oh boy, I drove 400 miles to be cold and wet. I could be cold and wet in my own house and not have to worry about breaking down on Highway 44 and attacked by crazed hillbillies.

Even you Boba Fett, I thought we were cool. I defended you for your most embarrassing death in the entire galaxy far, far away. I even saved you from the clutches of my dog. Now I want to throw you and the rest of my “friends” in a Sarlaac pit.

Oh, Come ON. Someone hates me.

Free, someone please, please someone release me from this bondage. The pain is too great. I can’t live with this and I can’t live without it.

The look on my face tells you how surprising this was.  

So,when we coming back to Bennett? This was the best day of my life.

Ok so, I used to be an overweight, unhealthy man. One day I decided to lose weight, then decided to exercise, then started to run, then ran a marathon. After I finished my first marathon, my wife asked if I was happy with my time. My response was one of the most important things I have ever said, something I’m  pretty sure was channeled from somewhere else-no way am I this smart. “I got the results I trained for” I said. I think that applies here as in most aspects of life. My partners for the weekend fish much more than I have lately, increasing their odds at catching trouts. Maybe my skills have not gotten worse over that time, but my reaction times were down and I definitely have not gotten any better. Also, my line kept getting all snaggered up and I spent more time untwisting, unknotting, retying, and not catching trouts than I would have liked. Probably should have used the gear I was more familiar with. Maybe think through my decisions a little better next time. Really, fly fishing isn’t that hard. Especially because it’s something you can work on anywhere, even in your own backyard. I think I’ll also add a third personal policy, but this is going to be it. Based on my decision making process, I really can’t question NFL head coaches any longer. I fall into the same trap of sticking with a plan that doesn’t work (and actually believing it eventually might), misusing resources, and mismanaging the clock. To Recap, 1. Do not negotiate with terrorists, 2. Bad decision making, and 3. You get the results you train for, so if you want different results, train differently.
Also, maybe I can empathize with the challenges of NFL coaches. (at least 31 of them, Jeff Fisher is still a jerk)


But seriously, when are we going back?

No comments:

Post a Comment