Monday, November 21, 2016

What the heck are those?

If you got the Varsity Blues movie reference, good for you.  If not, you need to watch Varsity Blues if you are of the appropriate viewing age that is.  Alright, now to the point!

While deer hunting on my uncle's farm in west-central Missouri, I ran across some of these amazing and beautiful structures.  I know they are associated with frost and freezing temperatures, but that is the extent of my knowledge.  Any help with what they are called or how they form would be greatly appreciated.  I hope you find them as incredible as I do.










1 comment:

  1. They are Frost Flowers...A frost flower is formed when thin layers of ice are extruded from long-stemmed plants in autumn or early winter. The thin layers of ice are often formed into exquisite patterns that curl into "petals" that resemble flowers.

    ReplyDelete