Monday, April 20, 2020

Fly Tying Class- a Learning from Home Elective

Usually, there are a few good things that come out of bad situations.  I would much rather be at school and teaching my students rather than doing it remotely.  I really miss them!  I would also much rather have my kids at school learning from their teachers and interacting with their peers rather than forcing them to learn from home.  It's hard to be a parent AND teacher of curriculum sometimes.  I'm not complaining by any means.  I love having my kids at home and closer to me.  I simply understand that their teachers have done their jobs with these age groups more than I have and I concede that they are the experts if we are to compare abilities.  However, I will gladly take the responsibility of being the fly tying class instructor for both of my sons.  

I was a little nervous about teaching my kids how to tie flies.  The oldest, Mason, has tied a little here and there but it has been a while.  The youngest, Cody, struggles to sit still for more than two minutes and is VERY independent.  I was anxious that my expectations would be too high and that I would lose my patience with them too fast.  Come to find out, we all faired a little better than I expected.  The oldest actually took to fly tying like a duck to water.  After a little reasoning, the youngest learned that he needs help when he's doing something for the first time.  If you are a fly tyer, and you have kids, why not try to teach them a few simple patters?  

For what it is worth, we tied mega worms and small jigs called Standards.  I would say keep the skills simple and the materials few.  Also, whip finishing is hard for kids but they get there eventually.  Mine would have probably picked it up better if they had a better teacher!

















No comments:

Post a Comment