Friday, April 3, 2020

So I Tied a Fly Out if German Shepard Hair

So this quarantine thing must really be getting to me because obviously, things are getting weird in my home.  Yes, I did indeed tie a fly out of some shed hair from a German Shepard.  She unknowingly donated the materials but I promise, she was not harmed in the process.  I had actually planned on tying some of these flies for a friend as a Christmas present but never got around to it.  I have a little more time on my hands nowadays so I was able to whip these up.  The darker fly has more guard hairs and longer fibers while the lighter one has more under fur and fluff.  They were both tied the same way.  I used some of the hair to make a tail, tied in some wire, used more hair for dubbing, wrapped forward, wrapped the wire forward, tied it off, whip finished, and then picked out the hair with a dubbing brush.  I think they actually turned out pretty well and if they don't catch a few trout, I think they will definitely fool a bluegill or two.  This fly is called a Bella which just happens to be the name of the good girl that donated all the materials.  


No comments:

Post a Comment