Thursday, April 23, 2020

Hareline Bling Strips- Part 2

So there I was, with a sample Hareline Bling Rabbit Strip and a vise.  I figured that the main application of this product was to be a flashy tail of a fly so that's how I proceeded with my flies.  I planned to use them on zonkers because I didn't see another way to use them.  You are probably more creative that I and can up up with better ideas.  I also decided to tie them on Gamakatsu B10S, Size 1 hooks.  I included a large cone head and a few wraps of wire behind the head.  The wire helps the fly sink, keeps the head from coming loose, and gives the thread a base for a collar and whip finish.  If you don't put wire behind cone heads or bead heads for that matter, give it a shot.  I think you will like the results!  It only took two or three years to figure out why people do this but now I do it all the time.




The first fly that I decided to tie was similar to a fly that I posted about in early March.  You can click here to see the post.  Essentially, it is a black and chartreuse zonker but I made a few small tweaks this time.  For one, I didn't include a marabou tail because I didn't want to mute or hide the flashy bottom of the rabbit strip.  Second, I tied in the two hackles for the collar and wrapped them forward together.  On most of my other zonkers I tie in a hackle, wrap it forward, tie in the second, and wrap it forward.  I like the effect that tandem approach had on this fly and this technique definitely has it's uses!

As for things I noticed while working with the Bling Strip, there were two things that stood out.  One was that it is really rigid.  It doesn't have the same flexibility that a normal rabbit strip has.  I am curious to see if that property changes when it gets wet.  The second thing that I noticed was that when you are attaching it to a hook, it is slippery.  I would highly suggest that you lay down a base layer of thread and tie the strip on top of that.  If you don't, the strip will want to slide in all directions, especially towards the front and back of the hook but also around to the back side of the hook as well.

Overall, I think the fly turned out pretty good.  If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below or email me at showmeflyguy@gmail.com.  I will be back with a different fly that uses a Bling Strip tomorrow that is a little more...complex.  That's a clue and a teaser for tomorrow's post.














No comments:

Post a Comment