Wednesday, May 12, 2021

An Interview with a Fellow Fly Angler

While sitting around last night and trying to come up with some good content to post, I decided to interview a fellow fly angler.  This particular person is a pretty accomplished angler that has caught trout, catfish, bass, and bluegill on a fly.  This angler has caught cutthroat trout on the Snake River in Wyoming and landed a 6 pound rainbow on the Miracle Mile of the North Platte.  This angler also happens to be my girlfriend Wendy.  I decided to bury the part a little about her being both my fiancé as well as a female because I wanted her fishing skills to be the first things that people noticed.  She's a fly fisher and a darn good one and the gender doesn't really matter.

Besides the fact that I introduced you to fly fishing what was the biggest reason that you became interested in fly fishing?

"I saw you catching more fish than I was catching on a spinning rod and I wanted to do the same."

That makes sense in terms of what drew you in, but what has kept you interested in the sport for so long?
"The fight of a fish on a fly rod is much more intense and fun than fishing with a spinning rod or push-button."

What is the most exciting moment you have experienced while fly fishing?
"Bringing in a 6 pound rainbow on the Miracle Mile."

Why does that mean so much to you?
"It was the biggest fish that I ever caught on a fly rod and it was a bigger trout than you ever caught."

Editor's note: I actually caught a 6 pound brown on the White River once.  

What do you think keeps more people from being introduced to fly fishing?
"I think a lot of people, like me, were intimidated by the casting."

Do you feel like lady anglers are accepted by male fly fishers or do they have something to prove?
"I definitely think female fly fishers have something to prove.  The sport is dominated by males, but I have noticed when I am catching trout after trout that a lot of male fly fishers notice and are impressed."

What needs to be done to make females feel more comfortable in our sport?
"I have been following companies that are geared equipment towards women so I think lots of companies should make equipment, like waders, that are made specifically designed for women."

Who's a better fly fisher, you or me?
"You."

Thanks babe!  

"Depending on the day."

As long as the day ends in Y, I will win.

Where is your favorite place to fly fish in Missouri and why?
"I have two favorite places.  Glen's pond (a farm pond we frequent) if I am wanting to fish for bass and Taneycomo if I am wanting to fish for trout."

If you could only throw one fly for one species for a day, what would the fly be and what species would you target?'
"A mouse fly for bass."

Should sequel to A River Runs Through It be made which features women as the leading roles?
"Yes, as long as I am in it."

Do you think the number of lady fly fishers has increased since you started fly fishing a few years ago?
"Yes.  The past few times when we have went on fishing trips I have seen more women out there fishing than when we started...including my mother."

You're mom is a pretty cool lady isn't she?
"She's dope."

If you had one piece of advice to give to a new fly fisher, what would it be?
"Don't get frustrated and give up on your first day of casting...like I did at first."

Would your advice be any different for a woman getting started in fly fishing?
"Yeah.  Don't be intimidated by how far you see men casting.  There are fish everywhere, not just further out.  I have proved that to Tyler many time."

Who told you that some fish are closer than you think?
"Nobody.  I learned that for myself when you were casting further than me by 60 feet."

Out of curiosity, who ties all of the flies that you use?
"The amazing Show Me Fly Guy.  Go to his Etsy store and check out his products.  They work every time!"

Did I force you to say that?
"No...but you'll never let me live that down if I don't."

Here's your chance to share anything you want about fly fishing.  Go!
"I thought I was just answering questions."

Good talk.  Thank you for your time.

"Fly fishing is the bomb .com and you're not cool unless you do it.  Anybody can catch a fish on a spinning rod but only people with skill and patience can do it on a fly rod."

That's better.  I'm tired.  Let's go to bed and watch Yellowstone so we are all caught up for the upcoming season.

"Let's go.  Rip is hot."

Editor's note: more than three people have told me I look like Rip. 

Editor's note: when you are the one typing, you get to add stuff whenever you want.  I’m not a professional and never claimed to be.

As a closing thought, it is important for us to help one whether through life or on the water.  Fishing is a sport and sports are a microcosm of life.  We all have strengths and weaknesses and we all have a lot to learn.  No matter what, please consider helping those that are struggling regardless of age, gender, race, or level of expertise.  Helping someone catch a fish counts towards your experience as well and sends ripples into the life of someone else.  You might not ever know how big or how far those ripples go, but they have impacts that you cannot see.  So take someone fly fishing and help bring some extra joy into the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment