Monday, May 24, 2021

Watkins Mill Fishing Report

Waylon and I hit the water at Watkins Mill State Park for a little while last night.  Watkins Mill is located in Excelsior Springs, Missouri, and is a beautiful place.  It has a good population of bluegill, redear, and largemouth.  There are hybrid stripers/wipers, crappie, and catfish as well but I have caught very few of those.  On the other hand, I don't target those species very often so there could be good populations of those that I just don't know about.  

In terms of the fishing last night, the fish we caught were doing what I thought they would be doing which is always a confidence boost.  The fish were in shallow water and holding near structure.  And while the water was up from all of the rain we have received over the last week, it was surprisingly clear as well.  I caught almost exclusively male bluegill in the 6-7 inch range with one really pretty redear as a bonus.  Every fish was caught on a Standard which was approximately 12-18 inches under an indicator.  I used a 3 weight fly rod too which paired nicely with the size of the fish I was catching.  If I would have had a small white popper, that would have been killer too because they kept hitting my indicator.  It was a beautiful evening at a pretty place with some good looking fish.  It's always fun to have fish put a bend in a fly rod and last night was no exception.








No comments:

Post a Comment