Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Kayaking the Missouri River


Last weekend, my buddy Corey and I kayaked the Missouri River from Bar K (basically I-35 & Front Street) in Kansas City to the Highway 291 bridge in Sugar Creek, Missouri.  This was something that we had talked about for months now and I'm glad we were able to pull it off.  We estimate that we floated 13 miles in approximately 2 and 1/2 hours.  We spent most of our time in the main channel where the current was faster but ever then, we paddled pretty much the entire time.  

We never encountered any obstacles that we couldn't steer around and didn't feel like we were in any sort of danger at any time.  The stories and myths that we had both heard growing up about the Missouri River being a death trap were exaggerated.  Don't get me wrong, we both had a healthy fear and respect for the river which probably helped us avoid problems.  I would gladly do this float again but next time, I would definitely do some fishing as well!  Also, thanks to Wendy for being our transportation.













 

No comments:

Post a Comment