Thursday, August 26, 2021

More Cigar Boxes Turned Into Fly Boxes

There have been a few posts on this blog about turning old cigar boxes into fly boxes, however it has been awhile since I had a post about this.  I know we have some new readers so I wanted to share a few of my latest mods that I have completed.  I find these boxes at cigar and liquor stores that sell cigars.  Owners are usually happy to part with them and I usually end up shelling out about $2-$4 per box.  I found some unique boxes lately that looked like good candidates to become fly boxes.  I usually look for wood boxes (not pressed cardboard) that show some grains.  I also check out the hinges and latches to make sure they work and to see if they will stand up to a little abuse.  The first box I found had a cool "sugar skull" theme to it and had some interesting graphics.  The other one I found actually had two tiers to it which was uncommon to me.  

I usually give these boxes away to folks and they are always nice to have on hand when the situation presents itself.  Sometimes I also put assortments in them that I sell on Etsy or mail them out to customers if they are repeat buyers and/or place a large order.  I just might be keeping one of the red boxes for myself.  To make you own, all you need is a ruler, some thick foam (I get mine from Hobby Lobb), a razor, and some super glue.  I was lucky enough to have Wendy present me with some industrial strength stuff that works really well.  I probably have $3-$5 bucks in each box.  I also use a razor to cut some grooves into the foam to keep hooks and barbs from tearing up the foam.  I have used some of these boxes for year and if you don't beat the heck out of them, they last!  So if you're looking for a project or just want a few more inexpensive fly boxes (great for streamers by the way) swing by Hobby Lobby and a cigar store and get to movin' and groovin'!

















No comments:

Post a Comment