Wednesday, September 1, 2021

My Favorite Popper

 

In yesterday's post, I left off by mentioning my favorite popper.  In reality, this is only one of three poppers that I ever use and this one has been the most productive for me.  It is a popper with a black and yellow head with a red mouth.  It also has black legs, black hackle (feathers) coming off the back, and some black hackle palmered (wrapped) around the shank of the hook.  This little devil landed every bass and nice 8 inch bluegill.  It is not very aerodynamic which makes it a little bit of a challenge to throw on a six weight but it gets the job done.  Most of the strikes that this fly induced came moments after it hit the water.  The fish didn't seem very interested in any sort of retrieve.  Maybe they were just reactionary strikes and maybe it didn't matter what color the fly was.  I don't really know for sure.

I made this particular fly but you can find them at Bass Pro.  I will include a link below, but sometimes they can only be bought in an assortment which is kind of a pain.  If you can find them being sold individually, you might want to pick a couple up.  

Link: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/betts-bee-pop-popper-assortment







No comments:

Post a Comment