Monday, February 21, 2022

Funny Story from the Eric Church Concert


Last Friday night, Wendy and I attended the Eric Church concert at T-Mobile center in Kansas City, Missouri. My amazing wife b
ought the tickets for me for Christmas as we are both big fans. The tickets were great and we ended up in the Soul Pit. By my estimation, we were about 20 feet from the stage! During one of the songs that he was performing, I could have sworn that he looked right at me and gestured for me to throw my Kansas City Chiefs hat up on stage. Wendy thought so too! Without hesitation, I tossed the hat with all of the accuracy that I could muster. I can still see it gliding through the air. To my dismay, it landed on the floor of the stage. My heart sank because I guessed that he didn't want it and now I was out a very nice Kansas City Chiefs hat that Wendy had bought me.

A little while later, a stage hand came around and picked up my hat and other stuff that had been thrown onstage. I thought I was going to have to try and talk someone to try to find my hat after the show which seemed like an effort in futility. A few songs later and Mr. Church comes onstage WEARING MY HAT!!!! I am 99% sure it is mine. He even wore it backwards just as I had been doing minutes earlier! Wendy and I were in shock as well as some of the folks around us that we had gotten to know. My optimism soared as I hoped that I might get it back. The crowd seemed to dig him wearing a Chiefs hat too which was pretty cool. Then the opposite of what I had hoped for happened.

He pulled out a sharpie, signed the hat, and then tossed it into the crowd to to his left. I was to his right. For a minute, I was pretty disappointed. I really liked that hat and I really wanted it back especially after ERIC CHURCH WORE IT ONSTAGE!!! I thought about going to try and find the hat and maybe even try to negotiate its return. Eventually though, a different reality hit me.

I figured that rather than just making my night pretty awesome, he made my night pretty awesome as well as someone else’s. Instead of me coming home with a good story, me and some other person went home with good stories. Sure, I liked that hat but now, someone else LOVES that hat! So whoever is walking around with a Chiefs hat that Eric Church wore onstage, keep it! It’s yours and your story now…and a pretty good hat!




No comments:

Post a Comment