Friday, February 4, 2022

The Near Deere Fly- It's a Southern Thing Apparently



Until a couple of years ago, I didn't even know what a Near Deere was.  A customer actually contacted me and asked if I could tie a few up for him.  I had to do a little research and get a some input from the customer, but was able to pretty much replicate the pattern.  I tied a few extras and put them in the online store because I read somewhere that this was a good pattern for trout, bass, and bluegill in the South.  Since that time, I bet I have tied 300 of these at the bare minimum!  The funny thing is that almost all of them get sent to Oklahoma and Texas.  

I don't know what this fly is supposed to imitate, but folks down south must be tearing it up on this fly.  Essentially, it is a wooly bugger on a size 10, 1/80 ounce jig hook.  The color combination is also unique.  Other than a crawfish, I can't think of anything that is olive and root beer colored.  And if you are fishing these under an indicator, thus meaning it is off the bottom, then it's not really acting like a crawfish.  So what this tells me is that it might not look exactly like anything but looks a little like everything.  

Currently, there are more in stock than I have had in weeks.  However, they go fast so if you're a fan of the Near Deere, you might want to scoop them up before someone else does.  I'm planning on throwing this on Lake Taneycomo in the near future to see if the trout dig it.  With some luck, maybe it will be the next Taneycomo or trout park go-to fly!  In terms of bass and bluegill, I have no doubt that they would eat this in the Midwest as well.

Link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheShowMeFlyGuy



No comments:

Post a Comment