Thursday, February 10, 2022

If I Only Had One Fly To Fish for Trout...

 ...this would be it!  It is worth noting, that I have never posted about this fly on this blog, on Instagram, or any other media.  99% of the time, I am an open book with folks when it comes to fishing.  I'll share fishing spots, strategies, and flies.  But with this particular fly, I just wanted to keep as mine.  I wasn't TRYING to be selfish but that's what I was being.  After talking to some friends and come guides recently, I realized that I have nothing to lose by sharing this fly with everyone.  Most people won't use it and those that do aren't going to change the landscape of fishing for trout in Missouri in general or for me personally.  My hope though, is that some people that read this post actually get on the water and catch some fish with this fly.  So here it is and here's a little more information.

Does this fly work so well for me because I use it so much, or do I use it so much because it works so well for me?  I don't know what the answer is but I have the utmost confidence in this fly.  It has worked for me at trout parks, Lake Taneycomo, and in Colorado.  

It's not much, but it does have some good qualities.  For one, it's white.  In my opinion, trout love the things that are white.  Trout live in fairly clear water and white stands out!  Next, it has a lead head.  Sure, you could tie it on a jig-style hook and use a bead, but I like the lead.  I also dip the jig head in white paint.  Finally, I tie it on a 1/80 ounce hook.  It gets down quickly, catches a lot of eyes, and is not threatening in any way to a fish.  In terms of the body, it is white, 210 thread.  That's it!

What it is supposed to resemble, I have no idea.  Maybe a caddis, maybe a scud, maybe ground up fish flesh.  All I know is that it has worked for me for years and continues to produce.  Like I said, if I could only throw one fly for trout for the rest of my life, this would be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment