Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Shed Hunting Last Weekend


My boys and I had the chance to head up to our family farm yesterday.  We had two goals.  First, I wanted to finish insulating the ceiling of the cabin.  There wasn't much left to do but this was a project that I have wanted to complete for a few months now.  Second, we wanted to do some shed hunting.  I have been hearing reports that folks have been finding antlers over the last couple of weeks and I wanted go see if we could fill our hands as well.  Shed hunting has become a yearly tradition that I absolutely love.

The cabin project went well.  The last pieces of insulation were installed and the last sections of particle board were cut.  This has been a tough project because of the different angles and the fact that the studs were not at standard measurements.  I think Mason and I learned a lot completing this project and he was a lot of help.  I couldn't have done this without him and it was good father and son time.  At this time, I don't have any more projects for the cabin...but I'm sure I'll think of something.

The shed hunting was a success as well which was unexpected.  Traditionally, we haven't always had the biggest deer density at the farm but that has changed over the last few years.  We seem to have more deer living on and passing through the property.  This means we have more bucks on the property and thus more antlers to try to find.  Up until yesterday, I had only found 2 sheds on the 170 acres where we were hunting.  As luck would have it, I found two yesterday and they happened to be a matched set.  We probably walked around 4-5 miles in total and the weather was pretty good. Waylon had fun as well.  He treed a opossum and saw his first deer which he chased after but got left in the dust.  Mason found some bones from a deer kill and Cody found a raccoon skull.  Everybody came home with souvenirs as well as exhausted! 







No comments:

Post a Comment